Friday, August 1, 2008

IT Rant I - Viruses and malware running amok

Every week I find myself cleaning off someone's machine. Typically, the cleaning process starts with booting into safe mode and running an antivirus scan. Also, cleaning out the registry and startup regions with autoruns. These are steps that may be followed after trying a system restore. The problem with a system restore is that you have to run an antivirus scan anyway, just to be sure.

Recently, I met some particularly annoying viruses such as Graybird, XP Security Center (also known as XP Antivirus 2008), and some others. I'm not sure which one it was, but it removed the svchost. I couldn't use the taskbar, start menu, read event log messages, copy files, or start internet explorer. It looks like the dllcache was emptied too, since sfc /scannow didn't work. It seems Windows users should just be locked down. Let's just give them a simple finder shell.

No comments:

Post a Comment